General Paints was established in 1953 by Ronan O'Connor, who set up his company in a section of a Famine Workhouse, dating from 1841, in Celbridge, Co. Kildare. The original products produced were gloss paints, oxides, machinery enamels, undercoats and roadline paints, and all products were oil based. In the late 1950's the company began manufacturing decorative paint for houses and in the 1960's General Paints introduced tinting systems to Ireland.
With the advent of emulsion technology from America in the 1960s General Paints became the first European paint company to manufacture a water-based paint using a pure acrylic resin, and is today arguably the leading specialist in acrylic paint technology in British and Irish Isles.
While General Paints Limited continues to be progressive and technologically focused while remaining true to our original core values of quality and competitiveness supported by technical expertise and the best customer service.
We now focus our energy in three broad areas of activity: supplying paint to independent paint retailers, retailing paint through company owned stores and supplying customised industrial coatings..